Sometimes it helps to have experience. Working with a medical product helps the user learn the best way to troubleshoot problems and get the most out of their supplies. Catheters are no different, and Anchor Medical has years of knowledge specifically with catheters. Here are some tips and tricks to get the most out of your catheter supply delivery:
- Make sure you have everything you need before you get started. Before you cath, if you have to push your chair or open doors, you get your hands dirty again.
- You can use the packaging of the catheter to avoid direct contact. With a straight catheter, some people open both ends and pinch in the middle with the package to avoid touching it.
- Many sanitizing wipes aren’t available because of COVID-19, but there are substitutions. If you are looking for Betadine, BZK wipes will work. Ask your medical supply company to give you options, because there is always some way to get clean.
One of the most frequent health concerns from catheter use is getting urinary tract infections. A UTI can make you very sick, often running a fever and feeling very ill. Other symptoms appear like:
- The urgent need to urinate
- A burning feeling when going to the bathroom
- A cloudy color to the urine
- Any sign of blood in the urine, whether brown, red or bright pink
- An unpleasant smell from the urine
- Fever and chills
- Pain in the abdominal area or in the back
You can help prevent a urinary tract infection by staying hydrated, cathing on schedule and maybe even eating cranberries, though that hasn’t completely been proven. Good gut health may also help your urinary tract. Eating fermented foods like kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut or tempeh will increase the good bacteria in your body as well as drinking kombucha.
There are also probiotic supplements and suppositories.
Know When It’s Time to Change Products
If you are still experiencing multiple UTI’s, it may be time to look at a sterile technique, a specific product designed to help reduct infections. Included in a sterile package is a catheter (and there are many to choose from according to your preference) and these items:
- Some kind of cleansing wipe, like BZK, Betadine or alcohol or antiseptic solution with an applicator
- A drape
- A collection bag